Flagship large aperture telephoto macro lens
As a flagship macro lens, uncompromising high rendering performance is achieved. Three FLD (“F” Low Dispersion) glass lenses that have a performance equal to fluorite ensure exceptional correction of axial chromatic aberration and lateral chromatic aberration. A floating inner focusing system moves two different lens groups in the optical path to different positions. This system compensates for astigmatism and distortion and provides extremely high optical performance from infinity to 1:1 macro. The overall length does not change during focusing, ensuring convenient handling. Metal parts are used in the lens barrel ensuring high durability of the body.
* FLD glass is the highest level low dispersion glass available with extremely high light transmission. This optical glass has a performance equal to fluorite glass which has a low refractive index and low dispersion compared to current optical glass. It also benefits from high anomalous dispersion. These characteristics give excellent correction for residual chromatic aberration (secondary spectrum) which cannot be corrected by ordinary optical glass and ensures high definition and high contrast images.
Optical Stabilizer (OS)
No Optical Stabilizer
With Optical Stabilizer
This is the first 180mm optically stabilized telephoto macro lens in the world and offers effective correction of approximately 4 stops. The system compensates for camera shake even in the macro range photography where only a small amount of blur can be easily identified.
* The OS effectiveness will gradually decrease as the shooting distance becomes shorter.
Large Maximum Aperture of F2.8
This is the first 180mm telephoto macro lens in the world with a reproduction ratio of 1:1 and a maximum aperture of F2.8. The narrow depth of field enables photographers to emphasize the subject and the large aperture provides a bright viewfinder image. Together with the OS function, they help the photographer confirm accurate focusing.
Flare and ghosting conscious design
No Super Multi-Layer Coating
With Super Multi-Layer Coating
In order to achieve high rendering on this flagship lens, flare and ghosting were thoroughly measured from an early stage to establish an optical design which is resistant to strong incident light such as backlight. The Super Multi-Layer Coating reduces flare and ghosting and provides sharp and high contrast images even in backlit conditions. The hood adapter extends the length of the lens hood and provides more effective shading to block out extraneous light which may have a harmful influence on the lens’s rendering performance.
* When using the APS-C Hood Adapter HA780-01 with digital cameras with larger than APS-C size image sensor, vignetting will occur. Please remove the hood adapter if you are using these cameras.
Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) is incorporated
Hyper Sonic Motor
The lens incorporates HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor), ensuring high speed and quiet AF as we as full time manual focus capability.
Brass made bayonet mount
This lens incorporates a brass made bayonet mount which has both high accuracy and durability. A special treatment to reinforce its strength is applied to the surface giving it greater strength and making it highly resistant to long-term use.
The rounded 9 blade diaphragm creates an attractive round blur to the out of focus areas of the image.
APO TELE CONVERTER
The addition of Sigma's 1.4x EX DG APO or 2x EX DG APO TELE CONVERTER produce a 252mm F4 AF telephoto macro lens* or a 360mm F5.6 MF telephoto macro lens respectively. Tele Converters can also be used to extend the maximum magnification ratio beyond 1:1.
* AF can operate between infinity and 0.67m.
Tele Converter matching list.
A Removable tripod socket that makes it easy to exchange lenses, and a focus limiter that restricts the range of AF operation are incorporated for improved usability.
Excellent macro lens lineup
Sigma provides an excellent lineup of 5 macro lenses with a reproduction ratio of 1:1. The MACRO 50mm F2.8 EX DG, a standard macro, MACRO 70mm F2.8 EX DG, a medium telephoto macro, and MACRO 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM which has Sigma’s original Optical Stabilizer function, as well as APO MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM, a telephoto macro, to this APO MACRO 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM. Standard macro is suitable for taking pictures of things like accessories by adjusting the position of the subjects by hand while still looking into a finder. Medium telephoto macro is suitable for taking pictures of flowers using natural lighting, and telephoto macro is suitable for taking pictures of highly sensitive subjects such as tiny insects with greater working distance. With the lineup, it is possible to select lenses according to subjects.
TIPA Best Expert DSLR Lens Award
This lens is the first 180mm image stabilized macro in the world with a reproduction ratio of 1:1 and a maximum aperture of F2.8. It also benefits from the Sigma’s original Optical Stabilizer function that allows a gain of about 4 stops. Three special FLD ("F" Low Dispersion) glass lenses ensure exceptional correction of chromatic aberrations. Super Multi-Layer Coating reduces "flare" and ghosting, and creates sharp, contrasted images even when fully wide open.
* Currently, 29 publication from Europe, South Africa, Canada and USA are members of the TIPA (Technical Image Press Association) organization and chief editors and technical editors of these publications constitute this organization. Since 1991, TIPA has presented many awards in several sectors, including imaging.